Monday, January 30, 2012

Mishap

If you know me well, you know that I rarely complain about my life being boring. In fact, last night I was thinking about writing my autobiography and realised I'd have to publish it in volumes. Today, I decided that I would go for a jog before going over to belly dance with a 6 year old (her chosen activity, not mine). I was gonna do a simple 3.5 K in the snow. I did about 2 K before my body refused to let me do anything more. I had to stop, it wasn't the normal metaphorical "wall". I can push through it typically, but not today. I thought perhaps it was the extra layers I was wearing, that I was carrying supplies (ie scarves and a dvd...hey every gram counts) for belly dancing and the fact that my food consumption for the day was minimal.

One of my many medical conditions that leave physicians scratching their head and saying you're so young is my hypertension aka high blood pressure. I know I don't lead the healthiest lifestyle but I still confound drs. I've had it for 9 years now. Easily controlled by meds. This past week my doc tried me on a different med in the same family as the one I was previously on, just cheaper. And evidently, MORE EFFECTIVE.

After the initial 2 K I finished walking over to my best friend's (hi, I know you're reading). I felt kinda off, a little fuzzy in the head. I stood up and everything went black and there was kind of a whooshing sound. My God, I thought I was going to pass out. Throughout the variety show that is my medical history I have NEVER felt like that before. First time for everything eh? So after terrifying my best friend, her fiance and their children by looking near death (sorry about that!), I had to call my dad to come get me. Made a quick trip to Shoppers Drugmart to check my BP and found that the machine could not detect anything (twice) I used an at home machine, which just kept coming up with an Error message. Thinking the machine could be broken I got my dad to give er a test. Just fine. Damn (I mean, good for him. Bad for me). I also ruled out that it was my blood sugar. another first was calling my GP at home to see what to do. Stop taking the meds. Check back in a couple days. Got it.

For now, I shall lay in bed and elevate my legs.

I think, including the jog where I sprained my ankle terribly, that was the worst run I've ever had. The ankle sucked but until I actually injured myself it was a great run. This wasn't even that good of a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment