Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Guest Post: FUN RUN WON (metaphorically).

Please welcome my first guest blogger! Shelagh. She was my fellow Santa on Sunday. Here's her race day story in her own words:

Yes, it is true, I did not WIN the Santa 5k race but I did WIN against myself. In the spring my friend and I started to exercise three times a week at 6am. We were crazy at the time, that was going well so we started doing it five times a week (run M,W,F and bike Tue, Thrs). at 6 am. We were doing the couch to 5k app and I must say we had gotten pretty far until the summer just got in the way. She went away to the cottage and then I ventured off to Vancouver and let's say the motivation was not there individually. Luckily for outside sources of motivation... during the summer Morgan knew about me running and using the couch to 5k app! She asked me if I wanted to go for a 2.5k Run on a Sunday. I was game obviously but also extremely nervous, as some of you may be aware the couch to 5k app usually begins with a 5 min warm up walk, jog/walk alternation and concludes with a 5 min cool down. That is what I was used to... but this 2.5 k Morgan believed in me that I could accomplish it without walking. Well, I am not the best with keeping a Pace, as pro runners do but I did have to walk a few times because of that. Regardless, it was a great motivator to prove that 2.5 k is just a scary distance in my head but not so scary while running it.

So the slacking begins... summer ends, the nice running weather fades and welcome cold mornings and dark evenings. How is this weather any motivation to run!! To the experienced runners and brave souls who like the cold, this weather is no change for your routine, but for those who fell out of their routine, this is not helping anyone. Long story short Morgan asked me to do the Santa 5 k at the end of October. I was very hesitate since well you know the lack of running and all, hell I didn't even finish the couch to 5 k app!! But She has a gift to talk ya into something, especially because she knows I did really want to do it! The best was that she said- It is just a fun race and why not have a fun run as your first run! Well she sure was right!

Which brings Saturday night before the race. In a panic and constant butterflies in my belly, I decide that I will probably die Sunday unless I go for a practice run since I haven't been training. So I turn on my app, head out into the well lit streets and start running. I end up running/walking 3.3 k! Pretty proud of myself I head home... I know that at least I can complete more then half of the race and have settled with the fact that they will just have to carry me on a stretcher for the remainder 1.7 k. With my mind at ease I head to bed. RACE DAY: excited and all dressed up and blended in with 550 santas, I begin my very first race (since elementary school). Thinking hey this isn't that bad, hey this is pretty fun, hey I am still alive, HEY I CAN DO THIS!

I, a newbie runner, have completed my first 5K fun run! (in a Santa suit- so fun!). Thanks to Morgan for inspiring me as well as cheering me on and giving me hope as well as motivation to complete my first race! I felt so accomplished after the race and was just so excited, a few friends came to watch which was such a surprise but they knew it meant a lot to me! I felt great after the race and really want to get back into training...

hold me to it friends.

thanks for the guest spot Morgan!

She

No comments:

Post a Comment