Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Santa 5K

This past Sunday I participated in Hamilton's inaugural 5K Santa run. It entails that all participants wear a Santa suit, yes- including hat and beard for the duration for the race. I convinced a friend of mine to participate, making this her first race. It was definitely the most unique race that I'd participated in. It was great seeing lots of families and children out there.

Although it was only a 5K I definitely struggled finishing in 47 minutes and change. My diabetes after my last bout of pancreatitus has been significantly more difficult to manage. I haven't seen any of my 'team' yet about this but I am assuming that the last bout that I had may have damaged my pancreas further. I'm adjusting my meds and it's slowly getting better. That, with the crazy busy weekend that I had did not do my body any favours. It absolutely refused to move any faster for me. It was great running conditions, cool and and not too windy. There was a bit of snow, but the conditions weren't too crazy. I really REALLY wanted to stop and start walking but I persevered, using the little engine that could mantra "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..." and then I changed my internal chant to "I KNOW I can, I KNOW I can, I KNOW I can..."

Courtesy of My Sports Shooter
Aside from my performance I had a really fun morning. I would recommend this race for people with kids. There was one family in particular that I saw a dad with his son and daughter that really impressed me, you can tell that they ran together. The dad was kind of coaching the kids along, being very supportive and not at all pushy. I really like seeing families being active together. The benefits of activity for kids are so huge emotionally, psychologically and physically.


Courtesy of My Sports
Shooter. It's tiny but
it's me.


 I'm also very proud of my friend for finishing her first race in a great time under 40 minutes!

Courtesy of Shelagh Irving

Get kids active, it's a lifelong habit! See this little guy:

No comments:

Post a Comment