Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dank O'Jones

I ran 4.89 km on 16/11/2010 at 11:27 AM at a pace of 7'19/Km
http://go.nike.com/9u099u7


My playlist:
Snow ((Hey Oh))- Red Hot Chili Peppers 
The Pilgrim- Sam Roberts 
All These Things That I've Done -The Killers 
Cry Me A River - Justin Timberlake 
No One Knows -Queens of the Stone Age 
Dani California -Red Hot Chili Peppers  
Show Me How to Live -Audioslave  
Maneater -Nelly Furtado 
Uprising Down Under -Sam Roberts 
Turn off the Light -Nelly Furtado 

My route:

 I was hoping to have to write about the following topic much later or never at all. I have Idiopathic Acute Recurring Pancreatitus which is a fancy way of saying -They don't know what causes severe pain in bouts of an inflamed pancreas. His Name is Dank O'Jones because of the singer but also Dank rhymes with panc and the O'Jones is because a friend of mine always envisioned my pancreas getting angry and inflaming itself, so that developed in my mind to a little Irish pancreas (also alcohol irritates it).

With that background, yesterday I had an attack (which I refer to as Danking). It was moderately bad. When I get a bout I can't eat or drink in order to rest the pancreas so that it doesn't have to digest food. As you can imagine this seriously impacts my running. I am really trying to stick to my training schedule this time around but my health really determines what I am capable of doing and makes things somewhat difficult and inconsistent for me. It has also given me a great appreciation for my ability to run. From January of 2009 until April of this year my pancreatitus was chronic, meaning I had it all the time. I was very sick and lost 70 pounds; which I could stand to lose and have since regained much of. I could not eat and a doctor in September of last year told me that I was in fact, malnourished. I had to get a feeding tube and at the end of October I had a pretty big surgery and they re-routed my digestive tract so that food would no longer pass through my pancreas and now goes from my stomach into a different part of my tract. After being sliced open across the abdomen I was told that I could not run for 6 weeks. Whenever I am having a particularly difficult patch while running I just remind myself of that time, and that at least I can run today. This guarantees a smile on my face. It's especially pertinent at this time because I was recovering a year ago from now.

It is at this point that I am going to say, yes sometimes I make bad choices and yes I did go for a run today. I am very aware of my body though and knew if it couldn't handle it I would be informed in the first 3 minutes of my run. It told me all systems go, and I did. I varied my run surfaces and did sidewalk to grass to road and gravel. Since cutting across that field the other night I decided I'd try some more grass running. After I finished that portion on my way back I was feeling pretty tired. I am trying not to worry about pace time yet and just go, especially today since I wasn't 100% and on some serious pain meds. I checked how much farther I had to go because I felt like I was running out of energy and my pace was 6'56, that really helped to push me through the rest of my run.

I also saw a dead bunny on my run. It was sad.

Looks like I'll be going for a run in Ottawa this weekend with friends and I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah you are! I'll get Rob to share his fave running route with you. Daphne and I have tons of walking routes that we love, too.

    ReplyDelete