Sunday, July 15, 2012

11

I went camping this weekend with a few friends and had a grand time. I also got in a swim and run combo. The advice that my friend who's done a sprint tri keeps giving me is to know what it feels like to run on tired legs. You know, good ole rubber legs. Since the tri is under a month away I figured I would heed this advice. I didn't have anything to measure any of my distances which is always a frustration for me but I think I did a 300 m swim and 2, or 2.5k running. I have no idea how long it took either.

I DO know that running on tired legs wasn't as bad as I'd feared. Being tired means that I stay nice and loose. So I rather enjoyed the run, plus I was nice and cool from swimming. I realize I was missing the ever daunting 10k in the middle but I survived doing this in the blazing heat in the early afternoon and wasn't miserable. All good.

As I ran I also though about how the tri was less than a month away and I hadn't done near the training that I had wanted to. I also thought about the Olympics, of course and American Ninja Warrior and kept going.

Someone else who draws inspiration from our Olympians is Jeremiah Brown. He  is one of the men rowing in the men's 8. He was inspired by the men's 8 who rowed to gold in 2008 and took up the sport. He has a connection to my hometown as he was born there and played football at Mac. He's also a blogger (http://jeremiahbrown.wordpress.com/) and can be found on Twitter at @JeremiahFBrown

Lauren Barwick is a Paralympian competing in Equestrian. Her nickname is the Centaur because of the connection between her and her mount. She started riding at the young age of 7 and became paralyzed 12 years ago when a bale of hay fell on her. A year and a half after her injury she was back computing. She's met with great success winning gold and silver in 2008. How does she do it? Paralympic.ca explains, she "has a custom adapted saddle with special knee rolls, a Velcro strap over her thighs and elasticized straps to keep her feet in the stirrups. By adjusting her seat’s movement with her torso, she can change the direction and speed of her horse. She has a small handle bar at the front of her saddle to grab hold of if she becomes unbalanced. During competitions, she uses two whips that act as her legs, along with a system of audio clues - clucks and kisses – that allow her to further finesse her control." You can find a great little piece that Lauren wrote before the 2008 Games here: http://laurenbarwick.typepad.com/the_road_to_bejing/a-little-bit-about-lauren.html


No comments:

Post a Comment