Monday, July 2, 2012

24

Paul Tingley is a paralympic athlete that has earned the nickname 'The Gambler' for the amount of risks he takes in his sport. He's one of the top competitors in the world, even among able bodied sailers. In Paul's own words this is how he became involved in the sport "Until 1994, skiing was my sport. I loved the feel of the wind on my face as I flew down the slopes. Then one night skiing changed my life. I hit a jump with too much speed. The resulting fall broke my back, causing a permanent spinal cord injury.
I realized that my mobility would forever be linked to a wheelchair. My life was never going to be the same. At the time, I was very depressed. When I started my rehabilitation, I found I had to learn to do many routine things all over again. As I mastered everyday tasks, I found myself yearning for a more active lifestyle.
My physiotherapist talked to me about sailing for disabled persons. Once I tried it I was hooked. However, I had much to learn about sailing. So I trained 20 hours a week and attended numerous regattas. Thankfully, I had lots of support. As a novice sailor and athlete I was able to access the specialized equipment, expert coaches and sports associations I needed to help me on my way" (paralympicfoundation.ca). He's a Halifax boy. He won bronze in 200 and gold in 2008. So we can hope for success from Paul at these Games. His boat is outfitted with a joystick and foot control levers. His method to success is imitating his competitors decisions, figuring othe geometry of his sails and then with all this knowledge, he follows his gut.
Mary Spencer is a boxer. She's going to be representing Canada in this debut sport. I am incredibly excited to watch her in action. Mary have a proven record of winning (even more than Charlie Sheen).  She's a 3 time World Champ. As of July 26, 2011, her amateur record is 115 wins, 9 losses. "She has been named ‘one to watch’ for The Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity’s Most Influential Women list and is a Member of Motivate Canada’s GEN 7 Aboriginal role model initiative. She was also chosen by Proctor and Gamble as a CoverGirl for 2012. (Olympic.ca)" Follow this inspiration woman on Twitter at @Canadianboxer or her website: maryspencer.ca 

In addition to sport did you know that poetry has a relationship to the Olympics? Read about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/books/review/poetrys-relationship-with-the-olympics.html?_r=2&pagewanted=2

No comments:

Post a Comment