Monday, July 9, 2012

18

Yesterday I spent the day at the lake. I did a swim and a bike, Using various people's extremely scientific guesstimations (on was an OPP officer and the other a traffic engineer, I trust their judgement) I thin my swim was about 500m. I think I managed to stay in a pretty straight line. I also managed to get water in my ears. The were both plugged but the right one incredibly badly. It still is today. Investing in ear plugs will be a definite must. The swim went well. I like it. Then I cycled and it was ok. I just kind of pedalled around for half an hour. I have no guess as to the distance I did. I could feel that my legs were tired later in the day just swimming around for fun and when I went to bed I was exhausted. It was a great day. Putting the two together and not being dead tired afterwards is a good sign.

Here's a good link about great sportsmanship. I've posted about a couple of the events they're talking about before: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/the-10-most-heartwarming-moments-of-sportsmanship

Patrice Simard is a *Wheelchair Rugby player (Wait, what?! Wheelchair Rugby? Intense. I need to brush up on my knowledge of paralympic sports). He's nicknamed the Pit bull for his ferocity. After a car accident that caused a spinal cord injury he started playing. He's now considered one of the world's best defensive players. He won silver in 2004 and bronze in '08. This year he's going for gold, to have a complete set. If you get the chance google wheelchair rugby and take a look at some of the pictures. They really demonstrate the aggressiveness of the sport.
* All right, while doing a bit of research for this piece I found out that Wheelchair Rugby has undergone a name change, it was previously known as murderball . I am familiar with this. So I'm not so out of the loop as I thought.
Karen Cockburn is a Canadian Trampolinist (I think I just made that word up). It seems that we're going to be quite a dominant force at the games in this event. This is the 3rd athlete that is considered a medal contender that I've written about. If she medals this time around, she's going to be the first Canadian athlete to attend 4 Games and medal at 4 Games. She won a bronze in 2000 and a silver in the following 2 Games. If her name sounds familiar it may be because she also was the flag bearer at the closing ceremonies in Bejing. She's been competing in the sport since she was 11. Just last month she won Bronze at the World Cup in Spain. She is also an ambassador for At My Best and Canadian Tire Jumpstart. If you want to learn more about Karen you can read her book: Karen Cockburn:Soaring High. Her Twitter Handle is: @karen_cockburn and website can be found at: karen-cockburn.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment