Sunday, July 1, 2012

25

I went for a run yesterday. It was really difficult for me. I don't know if it was  the weather or what but I did a really short distance of 2.5k (at 7'29) and was exhausted and barely keeping my pace time. Heading into the tri this has me alarmed and desperately needing to step up the training, or is it ease off? From what I've read you're supposed to take it easy before a race, but I am sure that is just for intensive trainers

I ran with a friend of mind who's doing a walk to run program right now and thank goodness she was there or on an uphill at the beginning of the run I would have just gone home. She did a fantastic job running pretty much the whole route and faster than me nonetheless! I think I am working on convincing her to do a tri.

Brent Hayden is a 100m freestyle swimmer who has a shot at medalling this summer. He was Canada's 2007 Athlete of the Year. He's participating in and individual as well as the 4 X 100 relay. This is his third Olympic appearance. I do remember him from the last games because he unfortunately did not qualify for his event last time around. He's most recently earned a silver in his event at the World's and is hoping to challenge Michael Phelps in another sweep of the podium.

"Eight years ago, Hayden was beat up, literally, when his disappointing performance in the pool was nothing like the nightmare he encountered in the streets of Athens when he emerged late a night from a bar and found himself in the middle of a riot. Greek police used their batons on protesters and Hayden, young enough to fit the profile, suffered an elbow injury serious enough to force him out of the short-course world championships that fall" (Vancouversun.com).
In his personal life, following the Olympics he plans on wedding his fiance Nadina Zarifeh, who was also a swimmer. Personally we have something in common as we both attended UBC! His website is: brenthayden.com where you can also find his photography.

Cristy Nurse is a part of the Women's 8 rowing team that have won silver medals in both 2010 and 2011 in the worlds. She's put her studies in law on hold to compete in the Olympics. In the March 12, 2012 issue of Sportnet Magazine, she was named of the “30 Most Beautiful Athletes on the Planet.” Having grown up on a farm Cristy became familiar with competition at a young age showing sheep. She will be using her competitive spirit in a few weeks against the world's best.


I hope that everyone's having a great Canada Day and that we can carry this pride through in support of our athletes!

No comments:

Post a Comment