Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Last Training Session

About a week before my Tri I headed to Gulliver's Lake and did a run then a swim. I am really glad I did this brick training in this order. I had a fantastic run, doing 2.5 at 7'38. It felt so very good that I decided to really be in the moment and remember precisely how it felt so that when I headed to the tri regardless of how tired I was I wanted to remember that I love running.

For the swim, the part of the tri I was most confident about, I actually took it pretty easy. I found the water to be a bit warm so I didn't particularly enjoy the swim as it wasn't refreshing. I like the bracing cold. It invigorates me.

Following this training day I took the week off. You may notice that this means that I had not actually done the tri in it's entirety. My theory heading into the race was that I KNEW I would be able to finish because I absolutely could do the swim/cycle portion of the race and could walk the 2.5 K if I had to. I also was completely uncertain as to what to expect for the transitions.

Also, on the Friday before the race I wrote my final final for my BSW. It relieved a lot of stress (now it's only the stress of waiting for the grade). Having finished, provided me with some mental breathing room. It was a big week!

So, I had done all that I could do and the night before the race visited with some of my nearest and dearest in a sort of university mini-reunion as I had friends visiting from Ottawa staying with my co-racer. It was the best thing I could have possibly done. It filled my heart and cleared my head and I knew psychologically I was in a fantastic head space going into the race.

 Doing the calculations I figured the swim would take 15 minutes, the first transition 5ish, The cycle 45, another transition of 5 and then the run 25 for a grand total of 95 minutes. In reality, my goal was just to finish, all the better if I could do it without stopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment