Thursday, August 30, 2012

Proper Tempo Run

I did 4 k at 7'46 today, my ipod told me '45 at the end of my run though. So, as that's my goal pace I'd prefer to go with that time. At the end of my runs my Nike+ give me a little rundown (time, distance, pace and calories burned) of my run. the pace time is always the one that I wait for and I noticed today that I literally held my breath until I heard it. I really want to keep this 7'45 pace goal. It was a nice run today, a bit warm and I could tell that my legs were tired from yesterday's 5 k, having done the tri training in  a much shorter running distance (only a quarter of what I want to run in November) my body's not used to the distance nor using the same muscles a few days in a row as I was mixing it up with cycling and swimming.

My last little information about doing temp runs. For those of you out there doing recreational running (like me) 20 minutes at tempo is great for general fitness or a 5K. I'm training for a 10 so I should be doing 6.5 to 9.5K at a tempo pace so that my body gets used to that pace and those hydrogen ions get used by my muscles. The key to remember for tempo running is keep it comfortably difficult. The talk test for this training is being able to say 2 words like, pace ok?


Wrapping up. Here's a great story about a dad who does triathlons carrying his daughter with CP. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188373/Rick-van-Beek-Devoted-dad-runs-triathlon-carrying-teenager-daughter-cerebral-palsy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
Mad props to Rick van Beek. It's an incredible and heartwarming story.

No comments:

Post a Comment