Friday, August 17, 2012

Tempo Runs

4K @ 7'51.

As I mentioned, I've registered for my 10K run. I would like to work on my speed a bit. From what I've read 'tempo runs' are good for that. They are longer runs at a faster pace with a slower warm up and cool down.

They (professionals) recommend a 15 minute warm up followed by a faster middle section and then a 15 minute cool down. As it is my runs are only around the half hour mark so I think I will have to adjust the warm up/cool down phase time. Today I would have only run at tempo (or lactic threshold) for 2 minutes.

Getting back more heavily into running is going to be fun. I like that there is so much less to plan. I grab my iPod, put on shoes and go. No need to worry about where to do a swim, figuring out a cycle distance, finding a less heavily trafficked location or paying to get into a park to do a swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment