Sunday, August 12, 2012

Olympic Break Over

 I have to apologize because over the past 17 days I slacked on my blog. Clearly, I LOVE the Olympics and there were several great moments. My favourite was definitely the Women's Soccer team winning a bronze medal. I absolutely cried my way through these games. Paula Findlay, Simon Whitfield, Usain Bolt, among a hundred others, inspired me. These games reached me on more of personal level than ever before because of my recent training. I marvel at the human body, dedication, and soul.

I ran (and biked and swam) my try-tri today but I'm gonna play a little catch up first. So you're just gonna have to be patient.

I did a cycle and run as part of my brick training a couple of weeks ago. It was a pretty toasty day out and I hadn't done this combination before. My friend who's completed a sprint tri and is competing with me in the event had told me that I should get used to running on tired legs. My legs were sufficiently tired! It was literally, the most difficult thing that I had ever done. 

Between my cycle and run I was getting shaky- a sign that my sugars were low. So I gulped so orange juice and made sure I was going to be ok before heading out for the run knowing that I would have to fiddle with my insulin some more before the race to figure out how much I should take.

I almost immediately wanted to stop running and repeated the Canadian Olympic Team's motto of give your everything to keep me motivated. Plus I knew that if I had have stopped running that I wouldn't be able to start again. At 2 K my second wind kicked in and I made a mental not of this for race day so that when I was that exhausted on the day of I could remember that the last half K would be the best if I could just dig deep and get to that point.  It was by no means an enjoyable training day. It totally freaked me out. I was proud that I had done it but was terrified for race day. I got home and jumped in the pool, clothes and all. There was never a better feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment