Saturday, May 12, 2012

I Did It!

Against all odds I finally did my cyclefit class!

This meant getting up early on a Saturday and getting to the gym. This whole driving thing is really convenient. I don't know why I didn't try it out sooner. I showed up to the class about 10 minutes early and it was completely empty. I WAS TERRIFIED!! I had images of myself and the instructor going mono a mono up imaginary hills and racing imaginary competitors. He introduced himself, I want to say his name was Paul, but I think that was my last instructor. Regardless,  I introduced myself, told him that this was my second class, that I hated cycling but unfortunately it was part of a triathlon and he helped me set up my bike as we discussed my try tri. He also informed me that we were gonna make sure that I was all trained up for the big day. It was kind of nice and makes me feel like there's another person invested in my training. The more people I talk to about doing a try tri (I always stress the TRY part when I am telling people), the more support I get. It makes me feel like I am actually DOING something.

I am ashamed to admit this...but I LOVE talking to people who also run or race. I like talking shop with them. He gave me some pointers about bike shops in the area and told me he was doing a duathlon next weekend in Waterloo. By this time a few others had trickled in (to my relief), including my instructor from last time!

EEK! this class was gonna be full of pros. There was a first timer there but she appeared to be quite fit. With the memory of the searing pain that I endured for 4 days following my last cyclefit experience haunting me, I started the class. Taking it easy this time, when my legs started to hurt, I waited 30 seconds and then sat down. It is essential that I be able to walk for my job. I couldn't destroy myself like I did last time. Throughout the class Paul (?) would often call me out by name, point at me or make reference to training for triathlons. Embarrassing? You bet. Did it make me smile? Sometimes, when I wasn't mentally telling him to f*ck off. I'm actually smiling right now, so I think I enjoyed it more than I was willing to express in the moment.

With my commitment to fitness I am not expecting to lose weight. Not at all my primary goal. I get that it would help not having to haul as much weight around but mostly I just want to be fit. With that being said, today when we were bent over pretending to be as aerodynamic as possible sprinting to the finish, my legs were hitting my stomach and boobs. Uncomfortable. Maybe some weight loss wouldn't be terrible...

No comments:

Post a Comment