Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Round and Round I Go.

I have a vehicle this week throughout the day as my mom and brother are away on a fishing trip. It makes it a bit easier to get to the gym. Yes, I realize the irony of driving to the gym to ride a stationary bike. It's worth it for me though because I would probably not get onto a  bike at all otherwise. I wouldn't get into the 'saddle', as it were in cycle-ese.

I get a good sweat on in cyclefit. Today I rode 11 miles I did the 10 K in about 20 minutes. I did more standing up this class. I am still nervous about a repeat incident of my first class where I worked so hard I couldn't walk for days following the event. Last time I did every other standing position today I did two on and sat out one. Although, my tension wasn't as high. I wasn't really into this class as I didn't really like the instructor, or his choice of music. I still worked, I still sweat but I did not smile. I also had a squeaky bike.

I still consider myself a newbie to working out**. I know I've said it before but when you're starting out you really need to find that thing that you enjoy doing. I started running years ago just because. It was the easiest thing for me to do. I just needed shoes and I could go anytime. I honestly don't even remember what on Earth actually motivated me to do it 8 years ago. I just went and did it. I think what had happened was I was kind of sick with my pancreas over the summer and had decided I was going to do EVERYTHING the doctors had suggested. So I started a low(er) fat diet, I stopped drinking and I think I had lost about 15 pounds so I was feeling pretty fit and decided to start running. I was (and am) still over 210 pound (which is obese for my height). My point is this, you've gotta commit and find something that you don't hate, no matter how much you weigh or what your fitness level is. When you're starting a fitness routine EVERYTHING is difficult. You are not going to LOVE anything right away.

I may not remember the moment when I decided to start running those 8 years ago but I DO remember the moment I fell in love with it. Of course, it was snowing. It was night time and I was alone with the crunch of my feet on the snow with huge fluffy flakes falling all around me, just like I was in a snow globe. I remember feeling so good that I ran farther and faster than I usually would.

Maybe running isn't your thing. Try spinning! You don't need any special equipment other than the bike and spin studios/gyms supply those. You will definitely need a towel! Just remember to take it easy!! (as with any new workout). I do not like cycling but spinning is growing on me. I did not leave feeling as resentful towards the instructor as I usually do. The official Spinning website offers a great explanation of what  it is and what to expect: http://www.spinning.com/en/spinning_program_faq

**In proofreading this post, I realize that I am not really a newbie as I HAVE been running on and off for almost a decade now. I just never really "worked out" in that I have goals and a training schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment