Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Terror

I realize that there is a heat advisory and the air quality is probably not the greatest but I also have been slacking in the training department over the past week and a half. I had set my alarm to go for a ride at 5 AM knowing that today was supposed to be very hot. I was still up at 3:40 so that was a no go. Instead I did a few sun salutations and was finally able to fall asleep. I got up and went out  early this afternoon. Yes, it was hot but with cycling you create a little bit of your own breeze which I appreciated. Also, I made sure that I was sufficiently hydrated prior to my ride successfully as I was not thirsty post ride.

Up until this point I'd done all my cycles in the comfort of the gym fooling myself into believing that I was working hard enough. Last night I worked out a 10 K (the distance I'll be doing in the try-tri) route with the help of google. Setting out, I knew I would be unhappy with this endeavour when I reached the bottom of my driveway and already felt a solitary bead of sweat drip down my leg. After a mere quarter of the distance I was contemplating if I would be able to back out of the tri. It was a really difficult ride. I really really wanted to turn around and head home, what honestly dissuaded me was the fact that there is a bit of an uphill on the way back and I was too tired to face that.

I reached my half way point and turned around. MUCH NICER I hadn't realized it but I was on a slight incline for most of my ride. Not to say that I wasn't out of breath and incredibly sweaty when I got home but I did feel a bit better when I got home knowing that I could at least do the 10. The fear is that cycling is post swim and pre run. I have no idea how I am going to do all 3. Officially my goal is just to do all 3 without taking a break. I just want to finish without pausing. I've still got over a month to go. I just have to commit more to training. I think I need to work it into my lifestyle more somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment