Sunday, September 16, 2012

"Believe that you can run farther or faster.

 Believe that you're young enough, old enough, strong enough, and so on to accomplish everything you want to do. Don't let worn-out beliefs stop you from moving beyond yourself." - John Bingham

10 K @ 8'25

With that pace I knocked off 5 minutes from my time last week. I'm not assigning much meaning to it though, as I like to work out a nice average. Last week I really reserved a lot of energy for the end of the run being unsure of whether or not I could even make 10K. I knew I could so this week I had a much more even pace.

I enjoyed my run I went along the escarpment. At one set of lights  I waited for the light to change there was another runner across from me. The traffic light changed but the pedestrian crossing hadn't and I thought perhaps that there was an advanced green or something so I waited. I hadn't noticed the button at the pedestrian crossing and finally the other lady and I both shrugged at each other and crossed regardless. Later on, during my return I passed the same women and gave a smile and raised my arms in victory she laughed and did the same. It's those moments when I truly enjoy running when in a moment you form a kinship with a complete stranger.

This week was much warmer for my run as I went at midday due to scheduling. IE a coffee date with my RM this evening (it's our 10 year anniversary). I normally don't have a hydration problem as as avid water drinker. When I lived in BC and people came over I could offer them water and milk to drink if I hadn't been expecting them. Today however, I could feel my lips drying out as I ran. As someone with diabetes, I clearly have to count my carbs and feel it's a waste to drink juice. When I got home today though as soon as I walked in that door I walked immediately to the fridge and reached for some Oceanspray cran-raspberry cocktail. It's made with Splenda and ony 40 calories per serving. It was actually a treat for me! I savoured every sip. Then downed a bottle of water. As I sipped at my juice it got me thinking of all the beverage options out there. Thus, I begin the beverage series in my blog.

I used to HATE sugar alternatives and refused to use them. Then I was diagnosed with diabetes and didn't really have much choice. I love me my water but sometimes I need a little something with flavour. Thus, I have embarked on a flavour tour of sugarless beverages. I do not drink pop. So those were easily ruled out. I used to despise Crystal Light, but when you don't have any other choice you learn to like them. The problem with them is the powdery flavour. Certain kinds are better than others. My favourite is the lemon lime. Nestea Zero is TERRIBLE I had it right after I was diagnosed and heartily disliked it. More recently I've tried it again becoming more accustomed to the sugar free scene. It is still TERRIBLE. I've also tried the MIO. It's bad. I may as well just dump a Splenda into my water. Plus, I find it ridiculously expensive. Crystal Light is overpriced in my mind too but I haven't found anything else as good. I find that the G20 series by Gatorade is good. It is not 0 calorie though.


 
On an unrelated note I share this video with you as I find it amazing what the human body is capable of (like my legs hauling 225 pound of me for 10 Kilometres), it's called the beauty of movement and the Olympics reminded me how gorgeous athleticism is and I friggin' LOVE Parkour.

No comments:

Post a Comment