Sunday, September 23, 2012

"Running is a big question mark

that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
- Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

10K @ 8'15

http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/activity/running/detail/2044257936?external_share_id=5e5c5c09-82bd-4cae-8657-4b6201f418d5

I really liked my route today! Here's where I ran:


Today's run was SO GOOD. I probably could have gone further. I think my body's finally adjusted to this distance. I had a great sleep last night and being well rested really helped. The cooler temperature was glorious and at the halfway point I was very surprised it didn't feel like I'd gone 5 kilometres at all. At the end of the 5 K there's a really steep uphill. In the summer I couldn't get up it but today it I made it up without having to take a break. It's one of those small victories that I love so much.

It wasn't until I was well into my run when I realized that my runs during the week had not been the most enjoyable. It's funny how that will happen. It seems I'll hit a string of yucky runs where my body resists running and I push through AWFUL runs and then get a beauty like today. I even had my pony-tail swing on. Which is one of those small things that make me smile when I jog. I'm not sure why, I just love it. Seeing my shadow hair swaying back and forth in rhythm to my run.

 Every Wednesday I have a standing date with my best friend (the one who did the tri with me!). It's one of the highlights of my week and keeps me balanced. This week we went to Harbour Diner for lunch (highly recommend http://www.harbourdiner.com/) then headed to the waterfront. While we were sitting there watching the sailboats on the lake my friend asked if I'd ever sailed. I told her glibly that I hadn't as it seemed like too much work. We then began a discussion around laziness and she complimented me by saying that I was not someone that she associated with avoiding work.

We then began to joke about ourselves in 2nd year looking at ourselves of today not believing that we would have done a triathlon this summer. 2nd year is when I picked up running and stopped drinking and tried to stick to a low fat diet for the benefit of Dank, who didn't really respond as strongly as I'd hoped to this new pure lifestyle and after 6 months returned to my old ways (of drinking at least). The low fat thing stuck around a bit longer and I guess I've been running on and off since then. Regardless, we were very lazy people at that time in our life. It got worse for me once I'd finished university and moved back home. I do believe I stopped running altogether at that point. I don't really remember...My point is this- it's difficult to get started, but once you do, no matter how slow the process (hello! A DECADE LATER) an active lifestyle is achievable. Find your 'thing' and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment