Thursday, September 20, 2012

Somedays

3K @ 7'53
http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/activity/running/detail/2042659684?external_share_id=bead83fc-5b3f-4979-a62e-289e5e1aec91

Today was one of those days where I just was NOT feeling it. I was too full from breakfast, I had to go to the bathroom, I didn't get enough sleep, it was overcast and windy, my body would not move any faster, I did not like my music...whine whine whine. It would not come together for me. These are the days that I chalk up to "at least I went out" reasoning. In addition, I had sweat like a beast out there for some reason and that reminds me of the Luluemon bag that says something along the lines of sweat once everyday. So, I got my sweat on today and that makes me feel a bit better about what I consider a disaster of a run. It was bound to happen after a series of good ones. I think it would have gone better had it been a longer run. I would have gotten into a groove.

Continuing on in my hydration series...

Leslie Beck explains that it's important to "learn how much sweat you lose during exercise by weighing yourself before and after a workout. For every pound of weight you lose during exercise, drink roughly 500 ml of fluid to rehydrate. It’s also important to replenish your muscles with carbohydrates and proteins from foods or a sports recovery drink.

Studies also show that sports drinks can enhance the physical and mental performance of individuals who engage in team sports that are played for a short duration, but intensely.

Two hours before exercise, drink 500 ml of cool fluid. During exercise, keep a water bottle handy and drink 125 to 250 ml every 15 to 20 minutes. Drink even if you don’t feel thirsty. When exercising longer than one hour, a sports drink is recommended. Use the alarm on your wristwatch to remind you when it is time to take a drink."

A new craze is coconut water. It's lower in calories than a sports drink, carbs and sodium as well; but higher in potassium. Don't be fooled, this is not coconut MILK which is high in fat. Coconut water doesn't make the grade for those profusely sweating. It's true that a lot of people don't get enough potassium because of not eating their fruits and veggies. When we work out though, we lose way more sodium than potassium so, coconut water is in essence just as good as water water for strenuous exercise. Feel free to indulge, however on those light workout days if you're feeling like a little extra flavour.

"Whether you hydrate with water, a sports drink, or coconut water the key is to drink enough fluids before, during and after exercise. This might sound like an easy task, yet research indicates that many athletes fall short." (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/how-effective-are-sports-drinks-and-coconut-water/article4492017/)

No comments:

Post a Comment