Thursday, September 27, 2012

"You also need to look back,

 not just at the people who are running behind you but especially at those who don't run and never will... those who run but don't race...those who started training for a race but didn't carry through...those who got to the starting line but didn't in the finish line...those who once raced better than you but no longer run at all. You're still here. Take pride in wherever you finish. Look at all the people you've outlasted."
- Joe Henderson

I google (ps it's their birthday today!) running quotes to use as titles and I read this one and love it. It really struck me. In fact, I keep re-reading it. I think it's important to look back at what I've accomplished, sometimes you can get frustrated and forget the progress that you've made.

Me 10 years ago would never have believed that I have medals from completing races. Me 5 years ago would never have believed I would have completed a try tri. Me 2 years ago would never have believed that I was running 10s. Me before I started running would be proud.

I often think about those who don't run. There's more people who don't than do. At least in my life. I was just like them. I found an activity that I enjoy and stuck to it. It makes me feel good. I think about those who never will run, those who physically cannot but who still inspire me. No matter how sick I am, I will get better and run again. Because I can. I want to make those who cannot proud.

I've never thought about a person who started training for a race but didn't carry through. Because I've never done that. For that I am proud.

I think about not finishing races. Because I got seriously injured. But I'm running again and that's something else for which I'm proud.

I don't know anyone who raced better than me and no longer runs. But I might, someday. And I will be proud. And thankful.

Today's run 5K @ 7'41 I am proud.

I couldn't sleep so I did my usual wait until 5AM then go. Cuz allllll the muggers and rapists are at home by then. Mostly I just mentally define morning as 5 AM. Seeing as it's now fall it was a bit nippy and I struggled with what to wear for this major event. settling on a t-shirt and capris. So, pretty much my normal running attire. I'd rather be a little chilled right at the beginning than hot for the duration.


The sky before my run
It was actual beautiful running weather. Cool, clear and crisp. I was feeling good. Then looked at my pace time. A good 20 seconds under my pace time. Just goes to show that although I'm feelin' fine and FEEL like I'm really givin' 'er my body can deceive me.

I haven't done an early morning run in AGES. 2 things I noticed- low branches in the dark are an eye gouging risk and spider webs. Neither of which were pleasant.


The sky after my run
My pace was kind of erratic. Again, today I was appreciative of my Nike+ because left to my own devices I would have gone much slower. It was nice to get the 5 in under 40 minutes.

Those photos are legit pictures that I took. Not one of my infamous paint drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment