Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Drinkin' Problems

4K @ 7'36

Today's run occurred in the rain. As per usual on rainy days I waited (and waited) for the rain to stop before heading out. I don't like running in the rain I hate that my clothes stick to me and I get raindrops on my glasses. Wet feet are my biggest running nightmare (not an exaggeration, other than injury). Slight discomforts, yes. The other issue is my iPod; because I run with it in hand in order to check in on my pace time. It also doesn't have a cover. I tried one out before and didn't like it. I did not have to worry about my lips drying out in the rain though, on the upside.

I know we're all told to drink prior to exercise 'cuz once you're thirsty it's too late' YOU'RE DOOMED. Why is it important though? As Leslie Beck (theglobeandmail.com) explains:

"Hydration is critical to athletic performance. In fact, dehydration is one of the most common reasons for early fatigue during exercise. All it takes is losing as little as 2 per cent of your body weight for the performance-robbing effects of dehydration to kick in.
Sweating is the body’s way of releasing heat from working muscles. If you don’t drink enough during exercise and you lose too much fluid from sweat, body temperature rises and performance can suffer.
The addition of sodium to sports drinks helps prevent low blood sodium (hyponatremia) in prolonged exercise. Sodium, lost along with sweat, is needed for transmitting nerve impulses and proper muscle function. Even a slight drop in blood sodium can cause problems."

Typically sports drinks use sugar or corn syrup to make up their 6-9% carbohydrate base. Studies have provided evidence that sports drinks do, in fact, "delay fatigue, enhance physical performance and speed recovery in athletes". I mentioned the G2 beverage from Gatorade as a low sugar alternative for myself. Marathoners also use it to gain the benefits of fluid and electrolyte intake (they get their carbs from gels or bars).

Sports drinks are not for everyone though. Water is the recommended bevie if you're being active for less than an hour. Save the sports drinks (and a few bucks) for those days where you're participating in a longer workout or tournament.

Here's an article I came across about Team Canada's turn around from last place at the World Cup to Olympic Bronze Medallists (still gives me goosebumps thinking about it)
http://www.riseathlete.com/apps/blog/leadership-to-london-beyond

No comments:

Post a Comment