Thursday, September 13, 2012

"Running is the greatest metaphor for life,

because you get out of it what you put into it." -Stupid Oprah Winfrey

I am sitting typing this drinking a fantastic tea (http://www.davidstea.com/featured/fall-collection/banana-nut-bread). Just thought you might like to try it. Amazing.

Today I did a 7k hill run with a seemingly dismal pace time of 8'13 (meaning I run 1km in8 minutes and 13 seconds). I say seemingly dismal because in actuality I thought I was running at about 30 seconds slower than that. So I'm kind of ok with it. My legs are definitely STILL tired from Sunday's run. Speaking of which, I was happily not sore from that run. Just tight in the shoulders as I suspected I would be so I will just have to remember to put them down.

Back to today, though- I went out at about noon when it was 25 degrees out with a nice breeze. In the approximate hour that I was out there, the temperature rose 6 degrees. As I ran I knew I was slow and it seemed like a tough run but holy! for the temperature to rise so rapidly no wonder I was dragging. As much as I enjoyed my last run I disliked this one. I kept it up though and finished. I was not concentrating on pace at all, just getting up and down that hill repeatedly. It's not too steep so not very challenging but by the end of 7 k going up and down a hill I was decidedly tired. As my mom and best friend can attest to after seeing my tomato red face.

A friend of mine and new mom from Uni read my blog and had this to say: 

I have started using runkeeper to get back into running. It's an iphone app. They have these things called "fitness classes" which coach you for different goals (e.g. a 30 min 5 km or an under 60 min 10km, others too)... I am working on the 5km one right now and find it's a great way to build up endurance and avoid injury (e.g. run 4 minutes walk 2 minutes kinda thing)

I do not have an iPhone but love having a guide for running and completely agree with the fact that it builds endurance and prevents injury. So if you're a newb or want to try a new distance maybe this is the app for you. Again, I encourage you to take up running (do it slowly and build up) at this time of year. It really is the best time.

No comments:

Post a Comment