Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Running for enjoyment is God's way of saying you have too much time on your hands"- Shameless UK

4.26 @ 7'31- Nice to be under 8 again.


I had a really great go today. Ran the furthest I had in a long time at a pace I was absolutely content with.

Over the past couple of months I've been getting some nice compliments about my appearance. Yesterday I bumped into a friend from high school and she told me that I had lost weight and looked good. She then asked how I did it... Well, a couple years ago, I would have told her that I was sick and lost a bunch of weight, which was absolutely the case. I did nothing whatsoever to affect my weight other than harbour a faulty pancreas. When I moved home and became less sick with Dank, I obviously put some weight back on (not all of it but 2/3). I then got Diabetes and whether it be the Diabetes itself or the fact that I've altered my eating habits, I again lost weight. Then gained it again. And I'm not talking 2 or 3 pounds my weight can  fluctuate by 10 pounds over a month. The thing is, I don't notice weight loss on myself, nor do I step on a scale unless I know I'm going to my doctor cuz she'll ask. Sometimes if someone comments that I had lost weight I'll check, but not unless it's someone I see on a regular basis.

The thing is, I accept the compliments, I like getting them, but for the first time ever, I attribute them to the fact that I've committed to exercise. I picked up doing yoga pretty much daily and running 3 times a week. Dank hasn't bothered me for a while with any significant pain (KNOCK WOOD), and I'm just feeling healthy. I think that's the difference people are seeing in me.

I loved the reaction from my high school chum when I attributed my lighter physique to running. She shook her head and asked how I did it. Really, it was so gradual with me. Using the Running Room Learn to Run program was key. It helped me build up endurance. Even now, I am again returning to running and doing so gradually, building up time and distance. I also know that I should not be killing myself by running as fast as I possibly can right off the bat. If I did that of course I wouldn't enjoy running. I'm not saying that it's for everyone. It is for me, though. I like it, I smile while doing it and now, I myself and others are seeing the benefits of it. It's so wonderful how easy it is to gain further motivation to exercise once you start in.

No comments:

Post a Comment