Sunday, February 26, 2012

"Through Running I Found Athleticism...

but I've realized that, more important, I found strength." Claire Kowalchik

4.82 K @ 7'24



With that 7'24 pace time closes my first week since I started running again that I ran under 8 for the entire week.  I had an amazing run tonight. With my crazy busy schedule this week I didn't have time to run yesterday and I really REALLY waffled over going tonight after a long, busy day but after a nap I decided that I may as well go for it. This blog and you, dear reader, have really made me accountable.

It was a chilly -4 but felt like -10. Apparently that's what my body likes. I felt SO GOOD out there. I didn't even want to look at my pace time. I just felt amazing. I didn't even care if I WAS going over 8 it was all so right. I managed to get my layers just right and wasn't at all chilled. As a result of my perceived speed I decided for the first time to focus a bit on form.

With my new job being at a call centre I am sitting on a computer for 8 hours. I carry a lot of tension in my shoulders to begin with so , sitting staring at a monitor with my arms at a keyboard doesn't help the situation. When I run I find that my shoulders migrate up to my earlobes. Having read a bit about running this week (my new job affords a lot of time for reading as well, as I often finish "reads" and tests quickly...I HAVE been in school for 23 years), I read that, similar to yoga you're supposed to do that whole head attached to a string pulling up thing. So that's what I did, plus ensured that my upper body stayed relaxed. I have no idea what I looked like but it felt all right. Especially my relaxed arms, they felt better than my usual clenched fists and tightly bent arms.

I tend to take a do what my body tells me approach to running, again. No idea if that's what one's supposed to do, or what the heck I look like when I'm out there. I hope people notice the smile on my face rather then the shuffling that I feel my feet do.

No comments:

Post a Comment