Saturday, April 28, 2012

"Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane!"

3.02K @ 7'27
AND
375 m swim

In the handy dandy triathlon for beginners book that I am reading, appropriately titled The Slow, Fat Triathlete (http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Fat-Triathlete-Athletic-Dreams/dp/1569244677), when you train by doing more than one sport you are "brick training". It gets you used to doing things with an already tired body.

In real life, my "brick training" is because I've been lazy all week and have some catch up to do. I still owe a spin class. I just didn't want to get up at 8 AM to get to one today. Please keep in mind that I do work until midnight. Don't judge me too harshly. So I headed off to my friendly YMCA. Before going I was very indecisive about this whole doing 2 sports thing. Finally I sucked it up thinking, it's ONLY a 3 K and a pretty short swim. Plus, I'd had a conversation with my friend and said that I thought once I got my license that I would get to the gym more because it was such a hassle taking the bus there. I don't want to be a liar.

There's a park behind the Y and I considered doing my run there then going in for a swim. Then- are you ready for this?- I decided it would just be easier to run on the treadmill and get into the pool. That's right folks. I USED A TREADMILL. I was reminded of the reasons that I so despise them when a great song came on and it was somewhat difficult to dance/run. I did manage to practice what I preach though and put aside my self consciousness and mouthed along to my songs and busted out some great arm dancing without abandon. I did like that I could set my desired pace and go for it. Sometimes I bumped into the bar that controlled the tv and changed the channels inadvertently. I wasn't watching tv though so I didn't care. I'm sure if anyone could have seen the screen they would have wondered why I watched Dora while I worked out. All in all it was a good run.

After the run with the ensuing jelly legs, I wobbled my way down to the pool. There was an aquafit session occurring (shout out to my homies, LOVE aquafit!). I was there to do the much less fun and  more intense laps though. There were 4 of us sharing one lane. The other women had goggles and swim caps. They were serious swimmers. Oh maaaaaaaaaaaan. Why couldn't the human buoy be back? I did pretty well though. Having them in the same lane and the class in session made the water a little more tricky to swim in. I also got a good lesson in being tired and still working out. Those arm dance moves I mentioned earlier? They were a mistake, I felt like I should have conserved that energy. i think having the other legit swimmers there was also a bit motivating because I didn't want them catching up to me.

I was fine though. I lost track of how many lengths I done because I just enjoy swimming so much that I wasn't really keeping track. I know that I did at LEAST 14 but I think I did more. In the book I also read about Master's swims and their deceptive name. You don't need to be a super swimmer to participate and I see that one of the Y's in town offers them on a lunch hour so I may brave one of those to get a good workout. Again, the most difficult part of me is getting to a class the first time. I think like most people I am terrified that everyone there is going to be better than me. That's rarely been my experience and when I am the worst, there was no pointing and laughing. I survived. I like getting instruction because it pushes me that little bit extra and I always learn something new. All in all, I think I did pretty well today, at least I enjoyed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment