Wednesday, March 7, 2012

"Real Athletes Run, Others Just Play Games"

5K @ 7'40

Today was warm, warm, warm. Made me think about running in the summer. I am not looking forward to it at all. In Kelowna I really enjoyed running in the summer. It was hot there and dry. I got to run by orchards misting their apples and would get perfect respite from the beating sun. I wouldn't even notice the heat and people thought I was crazy to be out there in 35 degree heat. It didn't faze me.

 In southern Ontario it's the humidity that gets me. The moisture in the air is so oppressive. Running is meant to be freeing for me. I can feel the air clinging to my skin. I must admit I am far more committed to evening runs in the summer. I enjoy heading out when the air cools that 2 or 3 degrees. I like passing other runners out there, the familiar smile and nod that unites you briefly to a stranger.

My run was ok today. I confess that I like telling people that I do 5k. It sounds impressive to non-runners. Not so much to actual runners, especially when I tell them my pace time. It was also a windy run and I ran back with the wind to my back on purpose. I initially started heading north noticed how windy it was and changed direction. Lazy, yes but; I was pressed for time today. I'm keepin' at 'er though and those reading my blog now includes several other countries. It's always interesting to see where my readers are from. Thanks again, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment