Thursday, March 22, 2012

Use Your Eyes, Use Your Ears, Then Use Your Feet

3.02@ 7'25



Yesterday was a busy day filled with errand running for me. I actually got a sunburn from being outside for the duration of my erranding. Thus, I write my blog today. I'm sure people were anxiously awaiting it. I was pleased with my run. It was really hot out, gave me a hint of summer and something to dread. I'll have to take up running at night again.

Speaking of night time runs, when I went out Monday night I noticed something alarming. It's long been a personal pet peeve of mine but I would like to call your attention to it now since it is the season for more pedestrians to be hitting the road. Please, PLEASE be conscious of us runners (cyclists) out there. I'm not saying that we all follow the rules all the time. Monday night however; I wore a white t-shirt and headband with a reflective bit out to the front, conscious that I would be running in the dark. I was also running on the sidewalk facing traffic. When I was crossing the street over the Linc's on ramp a car didn't even slow down when I was running towards it. As a pedestrian I have the right of way. I don't care that you are bigger. You slow down to allow me to cross at the proper spot. In this same spot earlier a saw a driver start down the on ramp and realize that they did not in fact want to continue down it, so they BACKED UP in an ON RAMP. Guys, seriously, I like that you read my blog. I don't want less readers. Don't be an idiot. I most often have trouble when I am running past the exit of parking lots. Just be aware. Don't forget your shoulder checks in intersections. I am careful to make eye contact with drivers before I cross in front of them, but sometimes I can't and like I said not everyone is like me. Even though you may be in a fit of jealousy of my inspiring physique bumbling down the sidewalk, please don't run me down in your vehicle.

I really like this video: you've probably seen it as it was on the news.
http://youtu.be/ebtGRvP3ILg

No comments:

Post a Comment